Newburgh, New York- Our small city has more churches per capita than any other city in the U.S. We have the broadest Broadway in the U.S. A higher crime rate than New York City. Our dropout rates are astounding. Our unemployment rate is too. We have a large Historical District. Hey kids! George Washington slept here!

Thursday, April 19, 2007

On Church and State

Yesterday I went to the City of Newburgh's City Hall. While conducting my business I noticed, on a radiator next to the Tax Assessor's window a Watch Tower and an Awake magazine. These magazines are published by the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society which according to their website " is a legal organization in use by Jehovah’s Witnesses." This religious organization's members perform a service called tracting in which they distribute their books, magazines and other publications to the community.

I have no issue with tracting in public or private. I do feel that the distribution of their literature at City Hall is wrong.

I went to the Tax Assessor's window and was greeted by a city employee whom I informed of the magazines on display in the building. She said "I didn't put them there and it's not my job to pick them up." She informed me that if I had a problem I could go upstairs to the executive offices.

I did go upstairs and let them know that I felt that it was an improper display whether authorized by the city or not. The people there agreed and stated that any employee who sees them should remove them.



No comments: